Healthy burgers aren’t impossible. Mind Kind Kitchen has whipped up a delicious and nutritious plant based burger to feed your noggin’! This mouth watering, protein packed burger is sure to satisfy and contains a number of brain-building ingredients that were selected for their cognitive enhancing properties.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 44 mins
Yields 8 servings
2 cups cremini mushroom, chopped
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon tapioca flour (for binding, optional)
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can chickpeas
1 1/2 cup cooked lentils or 1 15 oz can of lentils
1 small beet, peeled and shredded
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons liquid aminos
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ – 1 teaspoon red chili flakes for heat (optional)
100% whole-wheat burger buns (sprouted, if option available)
Chipotle Cashew Queso (recipe follows)
Butter lettuce leaves
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on high. Spray the surface of the pan with a little bit for extra virgin olive oil, or avoid for a fat-free version. Then add the mushrooms and cook through to lose its moisture, for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Get your blender or food processor ready. Place the mushrooms, oats and tapioca flour and pulse 3-4 times to pulverize the oats slightly. You don’t want to create flour, just break it down so it has some texture. Then add black beans, chickpeas, half of the lentils, nutritional yeast, liquid aminos, black pepper and chili flakes to the processor. Gently pulse all the ingredients to create a mostly ground mixture. Then add the beets and pulse until ingredients begin to come together.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Adjust salt and heat per taste. Shape into 6-8 patties.
- Heat the non-stick pan on high heat and spray with extra virgin olive oil (can be omitted). Arrange the patties on the pan and sauté for about 10 minutes on one side until browned, then flip over and continue sautéing for another 10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the burgers on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until browned and firm.
- Arrange the burger: toast the whole wheat bun, spread a little cashew chipotle cheese, place the lettuce, cucumber, then the patty on top of them, and spread more cashew cheese on the patty as desired. Then top with the other half of the burger bun and enjoy.
Chipotle Cashew Queso
This Queso is the star of the recipe! We put it on everything, from salads to burritos, to burgers and veggies! Whip up a batch of this sauce and get drizzling friends, this is much more than a cheese substitute – it’s a way of life.
1 1/2 cups raw cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 large chipotle with adobo sauce (add two peppers if you can handle the heat!)
1 cup boiling hot water (add more to thin out as needed)
Add the cashews and all the spices in a high speed blender like Vitamix.
Blend on high, and scrape the sides down intermittently to make a spread.
Add small amounts of hot water while the blender is running from the top opening and slowly blend the ingredients into a thick, spreadable cheese consistency.
Serve over salads, burritos, burgers, nachos or with vegetables as a dip.