The pine nuts are a MUST in this hearty and delicious soup.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours (or overnight)
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped or smashed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups low-salt vegetable broth
- 2 cups shelled peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 or 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Juice of half a lemon, about 2 teaspoons
- Parsley or chives for garnish, finely chopped
- Soak cashews before you make the dish, or if short on time, pour boiling water on the cashews and cover the container with a lid for 30 minutes. The longer the cashews are soaked, the creamier they’ll be.
- Place a stockpot over low-medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat for 1 minute. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and sea salt and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure that the vegetables don’t burn.
- Add the vegetable broth, peas, thyme, and bay leaf. Raise the heat and bring soup to a boil; then reduce heat to simmer for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender, add soaked cashews, and blend on high for 2 to 3 minutes (to make it very smooth). As you blend, cover the lid with a towel to prevent hot liquid from spilling out.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and heat through. Add the lemon juice, taste the soup, and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with either parsley or chives.