These truffles are made with nothing but unprocessed macadamia nuts, coconut, dates, and lemons. They are packed with brain-healthy plant-based fats, minerals, vitamins, fiber, and best of all, they are sugar-free. The dates provide the sweetness that will satiate anyone with a sweet tooth. The coconut outer edge of these truffles complements the lemony insides.
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 and 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 5 large medjool dates, pitted (6 if they are small)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Place the macadamia nuts and the 1 and 1/2 cups shredded coconut to a food processor. Blend on high until creamy, keep scraping down sides as needed.
- Now add the dates, lemon juice, zest, and salt. Blend until the dates mix with the nuts into a dough. Taste and adjust tanginess my adding more lemon juice, or adding more dates for sweetness.
- The dough will be very soft. Place in a bowl and transfer to the refrigerator for a few minutes to firm up.
- In the meantime, place the finely shredded (1 cup) coconut in a disk for rolling. Set aside.
- Remove the date-nut mixture from refrigerator. Using a tablespoon, scoop and roll a ball using the palm of your hands. Don’t hold them for too long because they will melt.
- Then place the ball in the dish containing the shredded coconut and roll it to cover it with coconut. Set on a parchment paper and allow to set at room temperature or place in the refrigerator to firm up quickly. They are best enjoyed at room temperature. Store leftovers in refrigerator for a week. These can be stored for longer if frozen.