This soup is the ultimate comfort food. The naturally sweet peas and creamy cashews are so satisfying you’ll never miss the cream. We like to enjoy it with 100% whole-wheat bread.
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (Better Than Bouillon Brand—Faux Chicken)
- 1 head of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups loosely packed basil leaves, destemmed
- 3 handfuls (about 3 cups) fresh spinach
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern Beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- salt to taste
- Garnish: basil leaf cut in thin strips (optional), toasted pinenuts (mandatory!)
- Place a large stock pot over low medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until translucent, but not browned (overcooked garlic will give a bitter taste to the soup. Discard if the garlic is browned and start all over).
- Add the broth, cauliflower and bay leaf.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and add the basil, and remove the pot from heat. Carefully ladle soup into a blender in batches to purée to a very smooth and creamy consistency.
- Return back to the pot on medium heat. Optionally, an immersion blender works well too.
- Add the spinach, beans, and black pepper. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the spinach is wilted and the beans are heated through.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice and stir. Adjust taste by adding salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with basil leafs strips and toasted pine nuts.
Mind Kind recipes are developed by Dr. Ayesha Sherzai, a practicing neurologist with a culinary and nutrition background. Each recipe is crafted to provide optimum taste, convenience, and health benefits.