You’ve never had queso like this — and you won’t miss the orange stuff!
- Queso Blanco:
- ¾ cup cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours (or overnight), then drained
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp nutrition yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 1 small onion, about 3/4 cup chopped
- 1 or 2 small jalapeños, chopped and seeded (1 for milder heat)
- Other ingredients:
- 2 cups black beans, or 1 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- Corn tortillas, 6-8
- Jalapeno slices
- First make the Queso Blanco. Place the cashews, broth, nutritional yeast, garlic, cumin, salt and lemon juice in a high power blender. Blend until very smooth. In a medium pan over low-medium heat, pour the EVOO and add the onion and jalapeños. Sauté for 3 minutes until the onions are softened and fragrant. The pour the content of the blender over the onions and jalapeños in the pan, and mix well with a spatula. Continue stirring constantly, scraping the sides of the pan, to warm the sauce through. After about 3 minutes, turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortillas. Stack them on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30-second bursts until warm. Assemble by filling the tortillas with black beans, and pouring the sauce over them. Top with salsa, guacamole, cilantro, lime and jalapeño slices, as desired.